Friday, July 20, 2012

What to look for...the list

I had a wonderful group of friends when I was in high school.  Being the typical teenage girls we were, we would dream about "wedding' things and our prince charming.  It was then that we began studying together and were guided by a great mentor on making a list of characteristics we would want in a Christian husband.  We would pray for our future "Boaz," knowing that he displayed the qualities of a man we all wanted to marry.  It would be something that I would hold near to my heart until "he" came along. 

With all that said, the story of Ruth and Boaz never ceases to amaze me. Tragedy....a mother losing her husband and two sons, but a daughter-in-law who gives up everything to move with her....which leads to her finding a remarkable man ( I love that 2:3 states "and she happened to come to the part of the field belonging to Boaz")...and a place in the lineage of Christ. 

Boaz was just a good guy (which is why we would pray for our "Boaz").....When studying this book, several qualities jump out at me...
  • He takes care of her every need (Head of the household quality) 2:8-9
  • He noticed Ruth's heart, and not necessarily her outside beauty 2:11-12
  • The Lord has the stronghold of his life (almost every conversation that we can see in His word revolves around the Lord)
  • Very diligent in his decisions and always tries to do the right thing (not full of deceit)  (Chapter 4) 
If you are single and you haven't already compiled a list of characteristics you want your future spouse to possess, I suggest you do it!  Search the Word...find the biblical perspective of marriage, pray about it.  And when you are dating, examine them carefully.  If they do not have the qualities you desire, then move on. 

And if you are wondering....My "Boaz" did come along and I married him 9 years ago.  Did he possess qualities I wanted?  Yes, and so much more!  I am very grateful for him...he is a magnifient husband and father to our two little boys. 

**I want to say "Thank You" to my wonderful sister-in-law for helping me compile thoughts about this topic.  You have great things in store for you :).**

No comments:

Post a Comment