Saturday, May 9, 2009

Do you pray?

I am going to start out this posting with a simple question: Do you pray? Sure, you may around the supper table with your family but I am asking about YOU. Do you have a prayer life? This is something that I think most of us struggle with. I have been challenged by several of my friends, women that I look up to, to work on my prayer life and I want to challenge you. Here are some thoughts I have gathered from them.

Satan sure does a good job of making us think that:
  • we don't have enough time
  • God won't listen to us
  • we can rely on others such as our parents to pray for us
  • it is only important when I am struggling with something or before I eat
  • or even we don't know how to pray.

Do YOU know the truth though?

1. God is NEAR! Read Psalm 145:18: The Lord is near to all who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him in truth.

2. He hears US! 1 John 5:14-15 Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.

3. He CARES for us! One of my favorite passages that I meditate on almost a daily basis is 1 Peter 5. Read verse 7...it is in the middle of a complete thought "casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you. (If you read on you can see how the devil walks about like a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour--don't let him EAT UP your prayer life!)

4. God GIVES! Matthew 7:7-11 Ask and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. Or what man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!

I recently was given an acronym that makes a lot of sense to me about "HOW TO PRAY."

ACTS

A: Adoration-Praise to God: Know God's greatness! Know who he is! I would suggest reading Psalm 18: He is our shield, our Rock, our Fortress. Underline those in your Bible!

C: Confession: Tell God your sins! What a better way to "get those off of your chest" and repent of them!

T: Thanksgiving: Read Philippians 4:6: Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made to God. Count your blessings. The book of Colossians has several verses that speak about this (1:12, 2:7, 3:15, 4:2). There is so much that we can thank God for. Look around you (your health, friends/family, praising God for an answer to previous prayers, just being able to be His child, sending Jesus to die on the cross for YOU, and what about the prize of heaven).

S: Supplication: Here is where you give Him your requests. Maybe it is about yourself, your family, your community, your church, the nation, those who aren't Christians, people who are sick that you want to lift up.

How do we put this all together? How do you start? Here are some steps that may help you out.

  • Set a time that you want to pray: It doesn't have to be an exact time but make time for God on a daily basis. It might be waking up earlier before school. What a better way to start your day then to spend time with God!
  • Make a place to pray. Find you a great spot in your house and make it yours!
  • Use a prayer journal or a list. I bought a cute little notebook that has two different sections. I use one section to jot down notes as I am studying God's word and the other section is my "prayer list." I even write down notes or put a check mark when I see that He has answered a prayer about someone or something. There you go--back to THANKSGIVING!

Here are some verses that I really want you to look at over the week:

PRAY:

  • ALWAYS Eph 6:18
  • IN EVERYTHING Philippians 4:6
  • EARNESTLY (serious in intention, purpose, or effort) Colossians 4:2
  • BE VIGILANT ( ever awake and alert) Colossians 4:2
  • WITHOUT CEASING or WITH PERSISTENCE (persevere) I Thess 5:17, Luke 11:5-9
  • WITH CONFIDENCE Hebrews 4:13, Eph 3:11-12
  • FERVENTLY (having or showing great warmth or intensity of spirit, feeling, enthusiasm)James 5:16, Acts 12:5, Rom 15:30

God has given this amazing tool! Use it!

No comments:

Post a Comment