Monday, August 9, 2010

Sticks and Stones....

Sticks and stones can break my bones,
but words can never hurt me.
Do you believe that little statement? If someone has said something to you that was hurtful, I can guarantee that you don't agree.
The GIVER
I remember the little girl who lived behind me. I was in elementary school and she was known to be a little "different." And....I remember EVERY hateful thing I said about her to my friends, and to her face. It wasn't pretty. She moved, and I never apologized to her. I can't even imagine what she thinks of me now, especially with how mean I treated her. I know she hasn't forgotten....
The RECEIVER
On the flip side of that, my 7th grade year was the WORST school year I ever endured. One of my best friends from the time we were little turned on me. She accused me of talking about her (in which I didn't), went and told all sorts of people lies about me, as well as had 8th graders threaten me EVERY DAY. I have never felt so rotten, and even today when I run into her in my hometown, those feelings come back again.
WHAT GOD SAYS
  • Treat others how you want to be treated. Matthew 7:12
  • Be imitators of God. Ephesians 5:1
  • Do not gossip. Leviticus 19:16, Proverbs 18:8, Proverbs 11:13

This is something that women struggle with at EVERY AGE. Unfortunately, the older you get, it is still there. It is up to you now to make the decision that you will not treat others unfairly, especially with your tongue. If someone around you is doing it...STOP THEM. Don't listen to it! It is poison.

No comments:

Post a Comment