Friday, July 13, 2012

Life Lesson....The Art of Teaching

We were getting settled at a local restaurant and bowed down to pray before the meal.  I don't know how many times my 16 month old had observed this in his short life, but this was the night it clicked.  Out of the corner of my eye I noticed he humbly lowered his head, like he knew what we were doing.  The light switch clicked! For the last few weeks, wherever we pray, he does it too! 


That little act wouldn't have been made possible if we hadn't "taught" him to do that.  Webster defines the word teach as: 
(1) to cause to know something; to cause to know how; to accustom to some action or attitude; to cause to know the disagreeable consequences of some action;
(2) to guide the studies of;
(3) to impart the knowledge of;
(4) to instruct by precept, example, or experience; to make known and accepted
(5) to conduct instruction regularly in

I have a HUGE responsibility when raising my children.....a blessing, but something I do not need to take lightly.  At the point in both of my boys' lives right now, I am their only B-I-B-L-E.  They can't read it for themselves, so I have to really use a combination of definitions 4 and 5:  to instruct by precept, example, or experience REGULARLY (Deut. 4:9, Prov. 22:6).  It will be done by their eyes alone! Seeing me in my personal study, having conversations with them, praying with them.....Even when they are a little older and able to read, I will still be guiding (definition #2) until they fully develop a faith of their own and move out of the house (which will be here before I know it!). 


This HUGE responsibility does come with an example.  The GREATEST teacher walked this earth living a perfectly sinless life.  People flocked to see Jesus. And He taught them...I love how Mark 6 depicts people running there on foot to catch up with Him and because of his COMPASSION for them, HE taught them many things!  Maybe looking at the life of Jesus will help me while I impart the knowledge to my offspring....

And what I want accomplished??
3 John 4  "I have no greater joy to hear that my children walk in truth..."






No comments:

Post a Comment